Do you need that morning or midday booster? If yes, how about switching your usual cup of Joe for a healing golden latte. It will not only give you the lift you need but you’ll enjoy numerous health benefits from its key ingredient, turmeric.
Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a plant that has a very long history of medicinal use, dating back nearly 4000 years. It contains compounds called curcuminoids which have medicinal properties, the most important being curcumin.
In Okinawa, Japan the people have the highest population of centenarians (people who live to a hundred). Researchers have attributed this to their holistic approach to diet and lifestyle, and interestingly one of their popular drinks is turmeric tea.
Health Benefits Of Turmeric
Chronic, low-level inflammation has been attributed to several Western diseases such as heart disease, cancer, metabolic syndrome and several degenerative conditions. Curcumin has a strong anti-inflammatory effect and anything that can help fight chronic inflammation is of potential importance.
Curcumin is a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals and stimulates the body’s own antioxidant enzymes.
Curcumin promotes the increase of bile secretion from the liver as well as increasing the activity of the pancreas and the enzymes it produces. What this means is your body is able to detox better, as bile is a carrier of toxic waste products.
Regulation of blood sugar:
Studies suggest that turmeric can lower blood sugar levels and may have a role in diabetes prevention or for those with diabetes, making it more manageable.
Research shows that curcumin is as effective as Prozac in alleviating the symptoms of depression.
If the above aren’t enough benefits to convince you, turmeric is also good for digestive issues such as bloating and gas; it can help regulate hormones and it enhances brain function.
Now you know some of the turmeric’s health benefit, it’s time to get ready to be amazed, because your morning coffee is about to be challenged by a caffeine-free latte that works wonders.
First, we need to make the concentrate. This will yield a few portions which you can refrigerate. Thus just as easy as you make your morning coffee, you can make your golden latte.
Recipe: Marissa’s Golden Latte
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 inch fresh turmeric
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk
- ½ tsp honey
- Cinnamon stick or pinch of cinnamon
- In a blender, add the hot water, turmeric, ginger and black pepper. Blend until smooth. Then add the coconut and give it another whizz.
- In a saucepan, pour in the non-dairy milk and either the cinnamon stick or powder.
- After a couple of minutes add the turmeric mixture and honey.
- Pour the golden latte into a mug and enjoy.
- Increase the portions and make a bigger batch which you can refrigerate.
- Turmeric stains, so be sure to wash your blender right away with warm, soapy water.
- This latte is so healing and nourishing, you can give a milder version to your children, especially when they have a cold or flu.
- Enjoy this drink cold and with ice on hot days.